Feb 23, 2021

2020/21 Brazil Safrinha Corn 20% Planted

Author: Michael Cordonnier/Soybean & Corn Advisor, Inc.

The safrinha corn was about 20% planted late last week compared to about 40% last year. The ideal planting window will be essentially closed by the end of this week and at the current planting pace, approximately 60% or more of the safrinha corn will be planted after the window closes.

Mato Grosso Corn - The safrinha corn in Mato Grosso was 35.9% planted late last week compared to 79.6% last year and 62.5% average according to the Mato Grosso Institute of Agricultural Economics (Imea). This represents an advance of 15% for the week, but it is still 44% behind last year. The most advanced planting is the northeast region where 46% of the corn has been planted (18% behind last year). The slowest planting is the south-central region where 12% of the corn has been planted (50% behind last year).

In the municipality of Claudia, which is located in northern Mato Grosso, approximately 30% of the safrinha corn has been planted and the remaining 70% will be planted outside the ideal planting window, which increases the risk of lower yields. Farmers are hoping for an extended rainy season so the crop does not run out of moisture before maturity.

Parana Corn - The full-season corn in Parana is 21% harvested and another 52% mature. The corn harvest pace will now accelerate with the dryer weather. The safrinha corn in Parana was 8% planted late last week compared to about 36% average.

Mato Grosso do Sul Corn - Farmers in Mato Grosso do Sul had planted 1.1% of the safrinha corn as of earlier last week compared to 7% a year earlier according to the Agriculture and Livestock Confederation of Mato Grosso do Sul (Famasul). The planting is slow due to delayed soybean harvesting and wet weather. Dryer weather this week is expected to allow for a faster soybean harvest pace and safrinha corn planting.

The safrinha corn acreage in the state was expected to increase 5.7% due to the strong corn prices in the state. The average price of corn in the state during February was R$ 72.63 per sack (approximately $6.25 per bushel), which was 76% higher than a year earlier when it was R$ 41.21 per sack (approximately $3.50 per bushel).

Rio Grande do Sul Corn - Farmers in the state have harvested 42% of their 2020/21 corn with an additional 16% approaching maturity. Rainfall earlier in January helped the later planted corn. The earlier planted corn suffered yield losses due to dry weather during September and October. The average corn price in the state is in the range of R$ 79 per sack (approximately $6.75 per bushel).